Helicopters Syllabus Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, Regulation 2010
- To provide understanding of theory of flight of rotary wing aerodynamics.
- To provide understanding the flight control systems of helicopter.
- To familiarize blade tracking and vibration analysis of helicopter.
- To understand power transmission of helicopter.
- To provide understanding on airframe structures & construction of helicopter fuselage
- To understand major sections/components of helicopter.
- To provide understanding avionics/instrument systems of helicopter.
- To familiarize with landing gear of helicopter
- To understand different type of lights of helicopter.
- To provide understanding of pneumatic/vacuum of helicopter.
Introduction of theory of flight of rotary wing aerodynamics, flight control systems, blade tracking and vibration analysis, power transmission, airframe structures & construction of helicopter fuselage, major sections/components, avionics/instrument systems, landing gear, different type of lights and pneumatic/vacuum of helicopter.
- Understanding the Theory of Flight — Rotary Wing Aerodynamics
1.1 Names the terminology
1.2 Effects of gyroscopic precession
1.3 Differentiate torque reaction and directional control
1.4 Narrate dissymmetry of lift
1.5 Describe blade tip stall
1.6 Explain translating tendency and its correction
1.7 Discuss corioliseffect and compensation
1.8 Mention vortex ring state, power settling, over pitching
1.9 Discuss auto-rotation;
1.10 Explain ground effect
- Understanding the Flight Control Systems
2.1 Explain cyclic control
2.2 Describe collective control
2.3 Narrate swash plate
2.4 State the purpose of yaw control
2.5 Describe anti-torque control
2.6 Explain tail rotor
2.7 Discuss bleed air
2.8 Describe main rotor head: Design and operation features
2.9 Explain blade dampers: Function and construction
2.10 Define rotor blades
2.10.1 Discuss main rotor blade construction and attachment
2.10.2 Discuss tail rotor blade construction and attachment
2.11 Define trim control
2.11.1 Explain fixed stabilizers
2.11.2 Presents adjustable stabilizers
2.12 Describe system operation
2.12.1 Define manual operation
2.12.2 Explain hydraulic operation
2.12.3 Outline electrical operation
2.12.4 Describe fly-by-wire
2.13 Define artificial feel
2.14 Explain balancing and rigging
- Understanding the Blade Tracking and Vibration Analysis
3.1 Discuss rotor alignment
3.2 Explain main rotor tracking
3.3 Details tail rotor tracking
3.4 Discuss static and dynamic balancing
3.5 Describe vibration types
3.6 points vibration reduction methods
3.7 Define ground resonance.
- Understanding the Power Transmission
4.1 Describe gear boxes
4.2 Differentiate main and tail rotors
4.3 Purpose of clutches
4.4 Explain free wheel units
4.5 Discuss rotor brake
4.6 Narrate flexible couplings
4.7 Define and classified bearings
4.8 Use of vibration dampers
4.9 Discuss bearing hangers.
- Understanding the Airframe Structures Construction of Helicopter Fuselage
5.1 Describe stressed skin fuselage
5.2 Mention floor structure.
5.3 Discuss the skinning and anti-corrosive protection
5.4 Define pylon
5.5 Discuss stabilizer
5.6 Mention undercarriage attachment
5.7 Purpose of seat installation
5.8 Describe doors
5.8.1 Describe construction
5.8.2 Layout mechanism
5.8.3 Explain operation
5.8.4 Mentions safety devices
5.9 Discuss window
5.9.1 Describe construction of window
5.9.2 Explain fixed window
5.9.3 Describe sliding window.
5.9.4 Describe the window screen/windshield of helicopter.
- Understanding the Major Sections/Components of Helicopter.
6.1 Discuss fuselage
6.2 Explain nacelle
6.3 Define mast
6.4 Describe main rotor
6.5 Explain tail rotor
6.6 Explain main rotor drive shaft
6.7 Describe tail rotor drive shaft
6.8 Discuss tail rotor gear box
6.9 Explain swash plate
6.10 Describe power plant
6.11 State the purpose of fuel storage/cell.
6.12 Explain firewalls
6.13 Mention engine mounts
6.14 Explain the methods of surface protection
6.15 Describe surface cleaning
6.16 Explain airframe symmetry
6.16.1 Narrate methods of alignment
6.16.2 Points symmetry checks
- Understanding the Instrument/ Avionics Systems (ATA 31)
7.1 Discuss Vibration indicating systems: HUMS
7.2 Explain glass cockpit
7.3 Narrate other aircraft system indication.
- Understanding the Landing Gear (ATA 32)
8.1 Explain construction of landing gear
8.2 Describe shock absorbing
8.3 Describe extension and retraction systems
8.3.1 Explain normal extension and retraction systems
8.3.2 Discuss emergency extension and retraction systems
8.4 Differentiate indications and warning
8.5 Discuss wheels
8.6 Describe tyres
8.7 Mention brakes
8.8 Define steering
8.9 Discuss air-ground sensing
8.10 Describe skids
8.11 Define floats.
- Understanding the Lights (ATA 33)
9.1 Discuss external light system
9.1.1 Explain navigation system
9.1.2 Describe landing light system
9.1.3 Mention taxiing light system
9.1.4 Explain ice lighting system
9.2 Discuss internal lighting system
9.2.1 Explain cabin lighting system
9.2.2 Describe cockpit lighting system
9.2.3 Discuss cargo compartment lighting system
9.3 Explain emergency lighting system
- Understanding the Pneumatic/Vacuum (ATA 36)
10.1 Explain system lay-out
10.2 Name the sources
10.2.1 Describe engine/APU source
10.2.2 Explain compressors source
10.2.3 Discuss reservoirs source
10.2.4 Narrate ground supply source
10.3 Describe pressure control system
10.4 Mention the distribution system
10.5 Explain indications and warnings
10.6 Discuss interfacing with other systems.
- Rotor System
1.1 Show skills in removal and installation of main rotor hub and blade assembly
1.2 Show skills in identifying different component of main rotor assembly.
- Power Transmission and Mast
2.1 Show skills in removal/installation of transmission and mast assembly
- Power Plant
3.1 Show skills in removal/installation of different components of helicopter.
3.2 Show skills in removal/installation of power plant assembly of helicopter.
- Free Wheeling Unit
4.1 Show skills in removal/installation of freewheeling unit.
- Tail Rotor System
5.1 Show skills in removal/installation of tail rotor hub and blade.
- 6. Landing Gear
6.1 Show skills in removal/installation of skid type landing gear
- Main Drive Shaft
7.1 Show skills in removal/installation of main drive shaft.
- Door Assembly
8.1 Show skills in removal/installation of passenger door.
8.2 Show skills in removal/installation of crew door.
8.3 Show skills in removal/installation of sliding door.
- Bell-2061-1 helicopter (Training manual)
- Bell helicopter 407 field maintains course.
- Bell-As-350 Euro-copter (Instruction manual)
- Air Frame έ Power Plant Mechanic
Airframe Hand book-AC65-15A