Construction Management Syllabus Diploma in Civil Engineering, Regulation 2010
- To be able to understand the modern techniques of construction management.
- To be able to understand the organization of contract department, pre-tender and post-tender planning.
- To be able to understand the operational research, site layout and organization.
- To be able to understand the mobilization of materials, equipment and construction safety.
- To be able to understand the quality and cost control.
- To be able to understand the maintenance, planning maintenance, supervision and execution of maintenance work in construction.
- To be able to understand the maintenance problems and its remedial measures.
SHORT DESCRIPTION of Construction Management Syllabus:
Principles of construction management; Organization of contracts department; Pre-tender and Post-tender planning; Public Procurement Rule; Operational research; Site layout and organization; Mobilization of materials and equipment; Safety in construction; Quality and cost control; Nature and importance of construction maintenance; Alteration and improvement of building; Planning maintenance work; Execution of maintenance work; Supervision of maintenance work; Maintenance problems and their solutions.
1 Understand the principles of construction management
1.1 Define management.
1.2 State the functions of management.
1.3 Describe the planning and executive functions of management.
1.4 Define construction management.
1.5 Establish the relation between management. and construction management.
1.6 Explain the necessity for scientific management in construction process.
- Describe the role of an engineer as a construction manager.
1.8 List the organs of project management team (PMT).
1.9 State the main objectives of a project management team.
2 Understand the organization of contracts department.
2.1 Define organization.
2.2 Describe organizational effectiveness in an organization.
2.3 State the staffing pattern in an organization of contract department.
2.4 Draw an organizational chart of a contracts department.
2.5 Describe the responsibilities and authorities of the components of contracts department.
2.6 List different government engineering department in Bangladesh.
2.7 Explain the role and responsibilities of the following within the engineering organization:
- i) Chief Engineer (CE)
- ii) Additional Chief Engineer (ACE)
iii) Superintending Engineer (SE)
- iv) Executive / Divisional Engineer (XEN/DE)
- v) Sub-Divisional Engineer (SDE)
- vi) Engineer (AE)
vii) Sub-Asstt. Engineer (SAE)
viii) Work Supervisor/Work Assistant.
- Describe the common sections in a divisional office of an engineering department.
2.9 Describe the function and objectives of consultants for contracts department.
2.10 Describe different component of Development project proforma / proposal (DPP) of any construction project.
3 Understand the pre-tender planning.
- Define pre-tender planning.
- State the objectives of pre-tender planning.
- List the activities of pre-tender planning.
- State the procedural steps of entrusting a work to the contractor.
- Define pre-qualification of contractors.
- Describe the procedure of preparation of pre-qualification document.
- Explain the procedure of preparation of evaluation criteria of pre-qualification document.
4 Understand the post-tender planning.
4.1 Define post-tender planning.
4.2 List the activities of post-tender planning.
4.3 Explain anticipation of award.
4.4 Define evaluation of contract.
4.5 Explain the silent features of evaluation of contract.
4.6 Describe the methods of work planning and management.
4.7 Explain construction stage, construction operation and construction schedule.
4.8 Describe the preparation of a construction schedule.
4.9 Explain the method of calculating project length.
4.10 Describe bar chart and its shortcoming and remedies.
4.11 State the meaning of the followings:
- Liquidated damage
- Extension of time
- Termination of contract
- Evaluation of contract
- Force major
- Performance security
- Technical Specification
- Working drawing
- Shop drawing.
5 Understand the recent public procurement rules (PPR) implemented by the govt. of Bangladesh.
5.1 State the back ground of PPR development in Bangladesh.
5.2 State the meaning of the following: PPR, ITT, TDS, GCC, PCC, NOA, BOQ, TEC, TOC, HOPE, CS, OTM, RFQ, DPM, CPTU.
5.3 Describe the preparation of standard tender document for works.
5.4 Describe the preparation of standard tender document for goods.
5.5 Describe the process of tender submission.
5.6 Describe the process of evaluation of tender document.
6 Understand the operational research in construction management process.
6.1 Define operational research.
6.2 State the necessity of network planning.
6.3 Classify network planning.
6.4 Describe the procedure construction network.
6.5 Define critical path method (CPM) and project evaluation & review technique (PERT).
- Describe the process of construction CPM network.
- Describe the process of drawing a PERT network.
- Distinguish between CPM and PERT network.
6.9 Explain the following terms:
- Dummy activity
- Total float
- Free float
7 Understand the site layout and organization in construction management.
7.1 State different features of a site layout plan.
7.2 Draw a site layout plan of a construction site organization.
3.3 Describe the staffing pattern in site organization.
7.4 Draw an organization chart for site office.
7.5 Explain the role and responsibilities of the following staff within the organization:
- Resident Engineer/Site Engineer
- Contractor’s agent
- Sub-Asstt. Engineer
- Work Assistant
- Security officer and other staff.
7.6 Explain the need for liaison and co-operation between site engineer and contractor’s agent.
7.7 Describe the relation between-
- Site office and Head office
- Contractor and Head office
- Explain the importance of site security.
8 Understand the mobilization of materials and equipment in construction management.
8.1 Define mobilization of materials and equipment.
8.2 Explain the procedure of receiving materials on site.
8.3 Draw a line plan of a material warehouse within the site.
8.4 Explain the procedure of removing materials from the site.
8.5 Classify the movement of materials on construction work.
8.6 List different equipment used in the construction process.
8.7 State the operation and maintenance of the following:
- Concrete mixer machine
- Concrete hoisting and conveying instrument
- Excavator tractor
- Crane (wheel mounted)
8.8 Explain the following terms:
- Plant history card
- Plant insurance
8.9 Draw a line diagram of a plant shed within the site.
8.10 Define resource management.
8.11 Explain the significance of resource management in construction.
9 Understand the safety measures to be taken in construction management.
9.1 Define safety measure.
9.2 State the nature of accidents in construction work.
9.3 Describe objectives, application and policy planning of safety program
in construction work.
9.4 Draw a typical organization chart for safety group.
9.5 Describe the responsibility of employers and employees in respect of safety measure.
- State the general safety requirements in construction works.
9.7 State different signals, signs and tags used in safety work.
9.8 Describe necessary safety measure in
- material handling, storage and disposal,
- handling of machinery and mechanical equipment and operating
9.9 Explain the necessity of safety training for employees.
9.10 Explain the process of preparation of accident report.
9.11 Prepare an accident report to the employer.
10 Understand the quality and cost control process in construction management.
10.1 Define quality and cost control.
10.2 Describe the effects of lack of adequate quality control.
10.3 State the effects and benefit of quality control for
- the contractor,
- the designer and
- the consultant.
10.4 Draw a flow diagram of a quality plan.
10.5 Describe the responsibilities to control the quality of construction of
- the client,
- the designer,
- the manufacturer,
- the contractor and
- the supervisor.
10.6 Mention the requirements for an effective cost control system.
10.7 State the phases of a management cost and control system.
10.8 Explain cost reduction cycle.
11 Understand the nature and importance of construction maintenance.
11.1 Define maintenance.
11.2 Describe the types of maintenance.
11.3 Explain the significance of construction maintenance.
11.4 Explain the magnitude of construction maintenance in our country.
11.5 Describe the liability for defects in construction.
11.6 Explain the importance of considering maintenance implications at
11.7 Establish the relation between the capital maintenance and running cost.
12 Understand the alteration and improvement of building.
12.1 State the basic criteria for alterations and improvements works.
12.2 List the most common operations in alteration and improvement work.
12.3 Describe the essential basic improvements that are needed in a large number of dwellings in Bangladesh.
12.4 Describe the sequence and management of alteration and improvement work.
12.5 Define rehabilitation and renovation.
12.6 State the advantages of rehabilitation and renovation work.
12.7 Distinguish rehabilitation from alterations and improvements.
13 Understand the planning of maintenance work.
13.1 State the need of planning maintenance work.
13.2 Mention the factors to be considered in formulating a maintenance policy.
- List the procedural actions to be followed to outline maintenance
13.4 Explain the nature of planned maintenance.
13.5 Explain the necessity of computerized maintenance program.
13.6 State the need of maintenance manuals.
13.7 Describe the contents of manuals.
14 Understand the procedure of execution of maintenance work.
14.1 List the agents usually execute the maintenance work.
14.2 List the variety of ways of notification of defects.
14.3 Explain control card and request card used in execution of maintenance work.
- Define maintenance feedback.
- Explain maintenance feedback and feedback report.
- Describe the components of maintenance procedure.
- Describe the coloured form (Red, White, Blue and Green) used in maintenance activity.
- Describe the necessity of training for manager, supervisor and operatives for effective maintenance.
14.9 Explain the objective, scope and requirements of maintenance incentive scheme.
- Understand the supervision of maintenance work.
15.1 State the main categories of supervisor of works.
15.2 Explain the duties of supervisor.
15.3 Define supervisor’s diary with example.
15.4 Explain different types of report.
15.5 Explain the features which should keep in mind during supervision of
- demolition work,
- excavation work,
- conceal work,
- brick work,
- plumbing and
- Drainage work.
- RCC custing
16 Understand different types of maintenance problems and their solution.
16.1. Describe the remedial of damage of walls due to settlement.
- Explain the process of remedial measure of movement of walls associated primarily with the drying action of tree roots.
16.3. Describe the treatments which can be used to repair concrete floor with faulty DPC membrane.
16.4 Explain the process of overcoming the efflorescence and stains in brickwork.
- Describe different causes of defects in precast concrete cladding and
- State the causes and remedial measures of the following plastering defects:
- Fine hair crack on the finished plaster
- Loss of adhesion
- Plaster surface sets too quickly
- Plaster surface soft and powdery with very fine crack
- Moisture trapped in new plaster.
- Describe the process of repair a patch hole on bituminous pavement.
Practical of Construction Management Syllabus:
- Identify the plastering defects in a particular wall and rectify the problem.
- Identify the efflorescence and stain in a brick wall and rectify the problem.
- Identify water supply problem in institute building and solve the problem.
- Identify a sanitation problem in your campus and solve the problem.
- Draw a neat sketch of a construction site showing different components.
- Identify patch hole in a bituminous surface and repair it.
- Identify cracks in concrete floor in a building and repair the cracks.
- Identify the damaged plaster in a wall of your institute and repair the plaster.
- Prepare a standard document for construction of raft foundation of a 6-storied residential building following the PPR-2008.
- Prepare a CPM net work for a given set of data.
- Prepare a PERT net work for a given a set of data.
- Prepare a DPP of 6-storied building project for a given a set of data.
- Prepare an accident report for an accident to the employer.
1 Introduction to Building Management (Fifth Edition) -RE Calvert
- Construction Management (Second Edition) -PP Dharwadker
3 The Site Agents Hand Book – RHB Ranns
4 Building Organization & Procedures (Second Edition) – G Froster
- Building Production and Project Management -R A Burgess and G White
- The Resume of Building Construction & Management with CPM (Construction Concept) -Mohammed Ali Siddiquee
Project Management, A System Approach to Planning, Scheduling and Controlling (Second Edition). -Harold Kerzner