Syllabus Diploma in computer Engineering, Regulation 2010, Short Suggestion, Exam Dates, Exam Routine, Question Out, Book list with code
- To familiarize the students with the evolution and generation of computers.
- To familiarize the students with the basic organization of computer and I/O devices.
- To develop knowledge and skill on the basic working principles of a computer system.
- To develop knowledge and skill on application packages and programming concepts.
- To know about ICT and Internet
Evolution and characteristics of computers; Types of computer; Computer organization; Computer memory and devices; Input/Output devices; Computer software; ICT and Internet.
CHARACTERISTICS AND EVOLUTION OF COMPUTERS
- Understand the evolution & generation of computers
- Define Computer
- Describe the application fields of computer.
- Describe the characteristics of modern computer.
- Describe the evolution of computers.
- Describe the characteristics of computer generations.
TYPES OF MODERN COMPUTERS
- Understand the types of modern digital computer
- Classify the types of computer.
- Distinguish between analog & digital computers.
- Mention the differences between super, main, mini and microcomputers.
- State the concept of Notebook, PC, Workstation and Client Server Computer
- List the name of microprocessors used in IBM & Apple type microcomputers
- State the differences between IBM type & Apple Macintosh type microcomputers.
- Understand the basic organization of digital computer system.
- State the basic operations of digital computers.
- Draw the block diagram of a digital computer.
3.3 Describe the functions of each unit of the digital computer.
3.4 State the term hardware, software, and firmware
3.5 State the name of minimum hardware elements of a PC.
Computer memory and storage devices
- Understand Computer Memory.
- Define memory.
- Classify memory.
- Distinguish between primary and secondary memory.
- Mention the features of RAM & ROM.
- State the unit to measure the storage capacity of memory
- Describe the key features of tape, disk, CD and flash memory.
- State the advantages and limitations of hard disk.
- State the name of secondary storage drives.
5 Understand the functions of input devices
- Define input devices.
- Mention the categories of input devices.
- State the type and function of keyboard.
- State the types of mouse
- State the function of mouse, Trackball, Joystick, Light pen and touch screen.
- Mention the types of scanning devices
- State the function of Flatbed and Hand held scanner.
- State the function of OMR, OCR, ICR, BCR and MICR.
- State the function of Digitizer, Electronic card reader, Voice recognition devices and Vision input system.
6 Understand the functions of output devices
- Define output devices.
- List different types of output devices.
- List the types of monitor, printer and plotter.
- State the function of monitor, printer and plotter.
- State the function of Screen Image Projector.
- State the function and type of Voice response system.
1 Understand Software basics.
- Define software.
- State the types of software.
- State the functions of different system software.
- Describe the function of operating system.
- State the evolution of operating system.
- Define application software.
- Classify application software.
- State the meaning of Pre-written software, customized software and Public domain software.
2 Understand the features of application software packages
- Describe the features of word processing software packages.
- State the uses of word processing software packages.
- Describe the features of spreadsheet software packages.
- State the uses of spreadsheet software packages.
- Describe the features of Graphics and personal assistant software packages
- Describe the features of database management package.
- List commonly used word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, database and bangla interface software packages.
3 Understand Computer languages.
- Define computer programming language.
- State the analogy with natural languages.
- State the Categories of programming languages.
- Define machine, assembly and high-level languages.
- Describe the need of assembler, interpreter and compiler as a translator software.
- Describe the generation of programming languages.
- Mention the important characteristics of machine, assembly and High level languages.
- State the advantages and imitation of machine, assembly and High level languages.
4 Understand the concept of of programming.
- Mention the Step of program development.
- Define Algorithm & Flowchart.
- Describe Flowchart symbols & their meanings.
- State data and data types uses in programming.
- State the meaning of simple I/O statements of QBASIC.
- Prepare simple I/O Program for displaying message in QBASIC.
- Prepare simple arithmetic program in QBASIC.
ICT & Internet
- Understand the concept of ICT and Internet.
- Define IT & ICT, Multimedia, Computer network and internet.
- State the meaning of MODEM
- State the use of MODEM in ICT.
- Mention the importance of IT & ICT.
- State the features of Internet services.
- Define the terms Web site, browser and search engine with example.
6 Understand the features of Computer profession.
- List the different professionals in computer field.
- Describe the responsibility of computer operator, computer technician, system Engineer, programmer, system analyst etc. in computer professions.
- Describe the effect of use of computer and internet in the society.
- Identify the major unit and their interconnection of a microcomputer.
- Identify different types of memory and storage devices.
- Demonstrate the overview of a modern Keyboard and the operation of different keys.
- Demonstrate the overview of a mouse and its operation.
- Identify the control and connectors of a CRT/LCD Monitor.
- Identify different types of printer and their control panels.
- Show skill on fingering for typing character and number using a standard type tutor software.
- Identify the feature of the text editor of a QBASIC interpreter.
- Prepare and execute simple QBASIC program for displaying message.
- Prepare and execute simple arithmetic Program for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.