Aircraft Piston Engine –Construction and description Syllabus Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, Regulation 2010:
- To give ideas and knowledge on piston engine history and development.
- To provide understanding of basic principle and theory of piston engine.
- To familiarize different types of engines.
- To give understanding of an external and internal constructional arrangements of the engine.
- To give the ideas and knowledge on strength weight ratio of engine construction for selecting proper constructional materials.
- To give understanding about smooth airflow in the engine.
Introduction to the basic principles, terminologies, definitions and laws, piston engine history and development, types of piston engine, main parts of constructional arrangement (External & Internal), super charger, air intake and exhaust, types and construction etc
- Understand PRINCIPLES, TERMINOLOGIES, DEFINITIONS AND LAWS:
1.1 Definition of different terminology of mechanical physics; force, work, power, energy, momentum, mass- weight, sound.
1.2 Describe the operating principles of engine.
1.2.1 Otto cycle.
1.2.2 Carnot cycle
1.2.3 Operating cycle
1.3 Power and efficiency: Horse power, Indicated horse power, break horse power & friction horse power.
1.4 Explain about the terms: Stroke, Swept volume, Clearance volume, Total volume & compression ratio.
- Introduce PISTON ENGINE HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENTS:
2.1 Describe the construction of natural reciprocating engine.
2.2 Familiarize about Wright brother’s piston engine.
2.3 Familiarize at present piston engine.
- Understand OPERATING CYCLE OF PISTON ENGINE
3.1 Explain the principle of operating cycle of piston engine.
3.2 Discuss about the types of the operating cycle of piston engine.
3.3 Describe about Carnot cycle and Otto cycle.
- UNDERSTAND POWER AND ENGINE EFFICIENCY:
4.1 Explain horse power = (I.H.P, B.H.P, F.H.P)
4.2 Mechanical efficiency.
4.3 Thermal efficiency.
4.4 Overall efficiency.
4.5 Volumetric efficiency.
- Understand PISTON ENGINE CONSTRUCTION:
5.1 describe types of engine.
5.1.1 Inline engine
5.1.2 Opposed cylinder engine.
5.1.3 ‘V’ type engine
5.1.4 radial engine.
5.2 Describe internal constructional arrangement.
5.2.1 Crank case
5.2.2 Crank shaft
184.108.40.206 Crank check
220.127.116.11 Crank pin
18.104.22.168 Types of crankshaft
5.3.1 Cylinder barrel
5.3.2 Cylinder head
5.3.3 Cylinder numbering
5.4.1 Types piston.
5.4.2 Construction of piston
5.4.4 Piston & cylinder wall clearance.
5.5 Piston Rings.
5.5.2 Types of piston rings.
5.5.4 Piston pin.
5.5.5 Piston pin retainers.
5.6 Connecting Rod.
5.6.2 Types of connecting rod.
- a) Plain types.
- b) Fork-and-Blade type.
- c) Master-and-articulated type.
5.7.2 Poppet type valve.
5.7.3 Intake valve.
5.7.4 Exhaust valve.
5.7.5 Valve seats.
5.7.6 Valve spring.
5.7.7 Valve guide.
5.8 Valve operating mechanism.
5.8.2 Piston position
5.8.3 Valve timing
5.8.4 Components of valve mechanism
- a) Cam shaft
- b) Tappet/ Cam follower
- c) Push rod
- d) Rocker arm
- e) Cam ring
5.9 Describe the materials used in piston engine parts construction.
- Reduction gear and bearing:
6.1 Purpose of redaction gear.
6.2 Types of gear.
6.2.1 Spur gear.
6.2.2 Helical gear
6.2.3 Bevel gear.
6.2.4 Planetary gears
6.3.1 Plain bearings
6.3.2 Roller bearings
- a) Straight roller bearing
- b) Tapered
6.3.3 Ball bearings
6.3.4 Niddle bearing
- Understand AIR INTAKE/DUCTS:
7.1 Explain the necessity of Air intake/ducks.
7.2 Normally aspirated engine.
7.3 Supercharged engine.
7.4 Air intake/scoop & ducting
7.4.1 Air scoop
7.4.2 Air filter
7.4.3 Alternate air intake
7.5 Explain the function of the piston engine Air intake/ducts.
- Understand EXHAUST System:
8.1 Explain the importance of exhaust system.
8.2 Describe the function of exhaust system.
8.3 Mention about different types of exhaust system.
8.4 Discuss about the construction, arrangement and materials of exhaust system.
- study of engine measurement CONFIGURATION:
1.1 measure swept volume.
1.2 clearance volume.
1.3 Compression ratio of an engine cylinder.
- Study of dismentling & assmbling of piston engine:
2.1 Familiar with complete piston engine
2.2 Remove all external engine accessories.
2.3 disassemble the engine, step by step.
2.4 Clean all disassemble engine parts.
2.5 Assemble the engine.
2.6 Removable/installable of the line replicable
- IDENTIFY AND LOCATION OF DIFFERENT SECTIONS OF THE ENGINE:
3.1 Indentify the all stationary parts of piston engine.
3.2 Indentify the all moving parts of piston engine.
3.3 Identify the all engine accessories.
- AIR INTAKE/DUCT ASSEMBLY:
4.1 Show practically the design and construction of different types of air intake/duct assembly.
4.2 remove and install of the air intake/ duct assembly.
- EXHAUST ASSEMBLY:
5.1 Show the arrangement and construction of the different types of exhaust assembly.
5.2 remove and install of the different types of exhaust assembly.
- Identify THE MOUNTING POINTS OF THE ENGINE.
- A & p Technical power plant text book,
- Airframe & Powerplant Mechanics – AC65-12A
Powerplant handbook————–Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Aircraft reciprocating engines.