Programming in C Syllabus Diploma in Civil Engineering, Regulation 2010
- To develop knowledge and skill to prepare programs in C.
- To develop knowledge and skill to create, compile, debug & execute C programs.
Basics of C program; Data types; Variables; Operators; Expressions; Input-Output statements; Branching and Looping statements; Arrays; preprocessors, Functions, Pointers; Structures and Unions; File operations and Graphics.
Theory of Programming in C Syllabus :
1 Understand fundamentals of C Programming
1.1 Describe the historical development of C Programs.
1.2 Describe the Basic structure of C program and programming style .
1.3 State the difference of C with other high level languages.
1.4 Explain the process of program planning.
1.5 Describe algorithm and flow chart.
1.6 Prepare algorithm and flow chart for simple problems.
1.7 State the process of compiling C program.
1.8 Write simple programs using basic structure of C program.
2 Understand data types, constants and variables.
2.1 Describe the data types in C.
2.2 Explain constants and variables in C.
2.3 Describe the keywords and identifiers in C.
2.4 Mention the use of qualifiers in data types.
2.5 Declare variables and asign values to variables.
2.6 State the type conversion and type defination in C.
2.7 Write simple programs using constants and variables.
3 Understand Operators and Expressions.
3.1 State C operators and their classification.
3.2 Describe the arithmetic, relational, logical, assignment, increment, decrement
and conditional operators.
3.3 Explain the bitwise and special operators.
3.4 Write arithmetic expression & its evaluation.
3.5 Describe the precedence of arithmatic operators.
3.6 Mention operator precedence and associativity.
3.7 Write simple programs using operators and expressions.
4 Understand the input and output operations.
4.1. Describe the statement getting input from keyboard.
4.2. Describe the statements printing output on screen and by printer.
4.3 State the codes used for formatted I/O.Statements.
4.4 Mention the escape sequence in C.
4.5 Write programs using I/O statements.
5 Understand the Branching and Looping Statements.
5.1 Describe the conditional an unconditional branching flow.
5.2 State the statement for conditional and unconditional branching.
5.3 Explain the format for branching statements.
5.4 Describe the conditional an unconditional Looping flow.
5.5 State the statement for conditional and unconditional Looping.
5.6 Explain the format for looping statements
5.7 Write programs using branching and looping statements.
6 Understand arrays
6.1 Define arrays
6.2 Describe the dimension of arrays.
6.3 Initialize arrays.
6.4 Write programs using arrays.
- Understand preprocessor statements in C.
7.1 Describe the preprocessor directives and their functions.
7.2 Define header.
7.3 Describe the process of including header in routine.
7.4 Explain the use of macro.
7.5 Describe the advantage of macros over functions in programs
7.6 Write programs using preprocessor statements.
8 Understand pointer and its application.
8.1 Define pointer.
8.2 Describe the characteristics of pointer.
8.3 Explain pointer expressions.
8.4 Write programs using pointers.
9 Understand Function.
9.1 Explain library function and user defined function.
9.2 Describe the process of calling functionsand returning values from functions
9.3 Describe arguments used in functions.
9.4 Mention function prototype.
9.5 Write programs using library function and user defined function..
10 Understand structure and union.
10.1 Describe structure and union.
10.2 Mention structure and union declaration.
10.3 Distinguish between structure and union.
10.4 Write simple programs using structure and union.
11 Understand file operations.
11.1 Describe file operations.
11.2 State the modes of opening files.
11.3 Describe the functions that support character I/O.
11.4 Explain the routines for performing formatted I/O to files
11.5 Write programs for reading, writing and editing files.
12 Understand graphics elements and its application in C.
12.1 Define Text and Graphics
12.2 Describe how graphics are created in computers.
12.3 State the concept of pixel and resolution of CRT/LCD/LED display.
12.4 State the format and use of line( ),rectangle( ), bar( ), bar3d( ), Circle( ),
ellipse( ), fillellipse( ) and sector( ) functions with example
12.5 State the format and use of Arc( ), pieslice( ), drawpoly( ) and fillpoly( )
outtextxy( ) & settextstyle( ), cleardevice( ), delay( ), sound( ) & nosound( ),
functions with example
12.6 Mention the use of modified cprintf( ) and cscanf( ) functions for I/O
12.7 Write program for developing color image using above graphics functions.
12.8 State the procedure of saving and loading an image in C.
12.9 Show the procedure to move text string on the screen.
12.10 Describe the statements used to copy and move text and graphics.
12.11 Write programs to create simple graphics.
Practical of Programming in C Syllabus :
- Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs
a)To print a message.
b)To add two integer/float numbers.
- Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using constants and variables
- a) To calculate the average of N numbers.
- b) To convert the given temperature in Fahrenheit to Celsius and vice versa.
- c) To calculate the area of a circle.
- Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using operators and expressions.
- a) To convert days to months and days.
- b) To calculate the area of a triangle.
- c) To compare two integer numbers
- Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using I/O statements
- a) To read integer/real number.
- b) To find the sum of three floating point numbers from keyboard.
- c) To convert centimeter to inch using scanf () and Printf () statements.
- Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using Branching
- a) To select and print the largest number of three numbers.
- b) To compute the roots of a quadratic equation.
- c) To count vowels from a string of ten characters using switch statement.
6 Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using Looping
a)To print odd or even numbers from N numbers.
b)To find the maximum or minimum number from a set of numbers.
c)To search prime numbers.
7 Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using arrays
a)To sort numbers in ascending or descending order using one dimensional array.
b)To print numbers in two dimensional form.
- c) for matrix multiplication.
8 Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using preprocessor
a)To determine hypotenuse of right angled triangle using macro.
b)To determine the area of a triangle using nested macro.
9 Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using pointers
- a) To illustrate the use of pointers in arithmetic operations.
- b) To compute the sum of all elements stored in an array.
10 Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using functions
a)To calculate the area of a triangle
b)To sort an array of integer numbers.
c)To calculate factorial of any integer using recursive function.
11 Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using
structure and union
a)To store and retrieve data using structure.
- b) To store and retrieve data using union.
12 Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using files
a)To store/read information to/from sequential file.
- b) To store/read information to/from random file.
- c) To convert lower case to upper case and vise versa.
13 Perform the task to create, compile, debug & execute a C programs using graphics
a)To draw a line with different styles.
b)To draw a circle with different colors.
c)To generate nested ellipse.
- To develop a complete project using C program that include text, graphics and
sound in VGA mode.
Reference books and sites:
- programming in C – E. Balagurusamy.
- Teach yourself C _ Herbert Schildt.
- www.e-booksdirectory.com › Computers & Internet
- www.freebookcentre.net › Programming Languages Books